Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Moments

The transition from the school year to summer has been a little hard on my little boy Ellis. Up until 2 weeks ago his days were pretty easy hanging out with Dad at home and taking a good 2 hour nap. Now with his brother home from school and the summer beginning Ellis' nap and daily routine are both gone.

The boys are spending most mornings at the pool, swimming for a few hours and then coming home famished and warn out.

It's been an okay transition but Ellis is exhausted. They took a break from the pool today but by 7PM he had reached his limit. After a quick shower we put on his PJs and then cleaned up his scraped knee. He was not happy about me cleaning up his boo-boo and he started crying. He cried and whined and cried for a good while which is very unusual for him. I decided that he just needed to go to sleep but couldn't get him to calm down.

I managed to get him to calm down by promising to lie down with him. I never lay down with him or let him sleep with me so he was pretty happy. We laid down together and I started rubbing his back. After about 5 minutes his eyes suddenly closed, his breathing changed and I knew he was fast asleep. The stress of an over tired 3 year old melted away when I realized he had fallen asleep so easily next to me.

It's moments like these that I want to remember for ever. These simple moments make the pain and stress of motherhood (and parenthood) more than worth it. It's the little, simple, unexpected joys that remind me that being a mom is the best thing that has happened to me in my short life!

My precious little boy

No comments:

Post a Comment