Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Decision to Stay

For the last six weeks or so I have been seriously considering a job offer in Columbus, Ohio. After many sleepless night, numerous conversations, and multiple changes of opinion, two days ago I officially declined the job offer.

It’s been a very stressful time for my family and I. The weeks have been filled with ups and downs and unexpected turns and details that are probably only of interest to a person directly affected by them (i.e. me).

The “decision to stay”, as we’re referring to it around here, has been a big deal for our family. This is the first major decision we’ve had to make as a “family”. When we decided to move to LA after college it was just Ed and I. We weren’t even married. We both made the decision for selfish reasons. The decision to leave LA and move to Atlanta was made more as a couple. We had this suspicious feeling that we could either have “LA” or “us” and I’m happy with our decision.

We when moved to Atlanta we moved here because there weren’t any other options. My parents were here and offered us a bed in the basement. I quickly found a job and within a year and a half of moving to Georgia we were married, expecting our first child, and I was beginning to find my career. We never intended on staying in this city for long, but somehow, after nine years it feels like home.

I thought that since my sister had left and my parents weren’t as local it would be an easy decision to leave. But once we really started weighing the pros and cons of the situation we realized it’s not that easy to just walk away from the life that we’ve built here.

I’m not certain what will happen with my job - and I’m okay with that. I know that for now, and for the immediate future, Atlanta is my home.

And these boys are my life…



No comments:

Post a Comment